Sunday, 5 July 2015

Cruelty Free Skincare | CLEANSE | Plus Illustrations

A slightly unusual blog post from me today, on a subject that I don't presume to be the most knowledgeable about. Skincare. Beauty. Cosmetics.

I don't claim to be an expert, mainly because my most authentic self is a bit of a slob. In an ideal world I'd never have to make myself presentable and do any of this preening but someone somewhere set the bar of how groomed we modern humans should aim to be, and that means that I at least need to wash my face.

So I do. And I quite like the routine I've designed for myself, which is surprising. The turning point for me came when I decided to go cruelty-free with my cosmetics. It is completely unacceptable in my eyes, to allow animals to suffer & live in misery, for the sake of a few frivolous lotions & potions. I don't want to associate with companies that allow their products to be tested on animals - to me that's like poking a rabbit in the eye on a daily basis.

So here are my favourite cruelty-free products. They might not be vegan, but they bypass that hurting-animals-with-chemicals thing, and I've been surprised at how much I've enjoyed using them, despite my slobish ways.
Camomile Cleansing Butter | The Body Shop

I take a blob of this and massage it into my face and it just dissolves my makeup. It's very satisfactory, there's no scrubbing necessary, and if you have sensitive skin like I do that tends to be sore after a day in the elements or in makeup, this is such a soothing relief. I use a hot muslin cloth to wipe the butter and the makeup away.
Foaming Face Wash | Green People
This smells amazing, like geraniums on a summer's morn. Kind of. Also its the perfect wash if you have sensitive, slightly dry skin that is sometimes prone to spots or shine. I've found my skin is much less oily and I've had fewer spots since using this.
Glow Tonic | Pixi
I think this has got to be one of my favourite skincare discoveries since I started seeking out cruelty-free brands. At first I was a bit sceptical, but within about a week of using it, my skin was brighter, smoother, and the annoying under-the-skin-bump/spot that I'd had for about a year disappeared. Amazing! There are a few things to bear in mind whilst using it though - a) if you have sensitive skin, once a day may be better and b) sunscreen is extra important as the toner can make skin more sensitive to sunlight.
Another tip - if you are concerned about the need for not-very-environmentally-friendly cotton wool pads - I bought some reusable cotton rounds from amazon. They are supposed to be breast feeding pads but they're perfect for applying the toner. Just wash and reuse!

I hope you found this helpful! Stay tuned for part two about the cruelty-free oils and moisturisers I use as part of my skincare routine - or watch the illustrated video I made below!





8 comments:

  1. I'm in no doubt coming back again to read these articles and blogs.vine vera

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and it’s really helpful. Selecting a cleanser with a balanced PH will help maintain skin's natural balance and for me the best facial cleanser is Sakare’s cleansing products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good share,..Really helpful material found.
    illustration agencies uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am for the first time here. I found this board and I in finding It truly helpful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to present something back and help others such as you helped me. weblink

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep posting more related articles about skin,
    Skin layer Treatment

    ReplyDelete
  6. i found your post is quite interesting while reading i saw your resolution about yoga and Natural skin care that was really amazing which is all off side effects must use them...!
    Really amazing post to read..!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Moreover, their products can now be purchased right in the convenience of one's home. As what was stated a while ago, aside from the convenience it provides, Homemade face mask recipes to make skin glow

    ReplyDelete