Tuesday, 28 April 2015

Gallipoli Illustration for Gourmet Traveller Magazine | Watercolour Landscape

Yesterday I was updating you all about my recent trip to Sri Lanka, when I realised I hadn't updated this space in rather a long time. It might appear that I have given up on my illustration career all together - but fear not, because... I haven't.

Speaking of fear, below is a recent piece I worked on for the Australian Gourmet Traveller magazine. I was a little fearful of this brief, because it involved a) a landscape and b) conveying a story. Typically I am most at home painting things that are right in front of my eyes; things like food, faces, animals and objects. When I have to illustrate any more than this I panic slightly.

The article that accompanied this illustration was about visiting the Gallipoli peninsula, which is steeped in history surrounding the Battle of Gallipoli during World War I. The author couldn't help but think of the many men that had lost their lives on such a beautiful coastline.

Hopefully my illustration conveys this message. I breathed a little sigh of relief when I finished it, as I think I surprised myself. I had painted a landscape that I didn't hate.




I'd love your thoughts! Should I paint more landscapes? Where's a good place to start for a landscape beginner such as myself?

6 comments:

  1. Definitely paint more landscapes, that is breathtaking!
    Is there anything you are not good at painting :)
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynne - that's very encouraging!

      Delete
  2. Landscapes scare me, too! This is beautiful. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When i saw it, i was like whaaat.. is this Holly? I really love this landscape and yes, you are super talented i think everything that you paint is well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this update,we all need to know present and future trends.
    uk illustration agencies

    ReplyDelete