Sunday, 9 March 2014

Bird Nests in Watercolour


 One of my first editorials of the year was a brief for VIP magazine, to illustrate the most common birds nests you can look for in your garden. This was a great project as I got to learn lots of interesting facts about nests as I worked - did you know that robins are inventive with their nest locations - and have been known to build them in kettles, cars and even coat pockets?

Goldfinch's nest
Songthrush's nest
Dunnock's nest
Chaffinch's nest
Blackbird's nest
Robin's nest

I hope you enjoy this series of paintings - they are for sale if anyone is interested, just send me an email at hogwin@hotmail.co.uk

*Update* Here are the illustrations in the editorial spread. So pleased!

3 comments:

  1. Coat pockets! Wow I'd love to know how that worked out aha! The illustrations are beautiful, loving the coloursxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, i've never heard of a bird building a nest in a coat pocket! love the colours of the robins eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know right - must have to be a very neglected coat.

      Delete