Monday, 23 December 2013

A-Z of Autumn Watch | Wildlife Illustrations for The Sun

B for Badger.
E for Eel

I for Interactivity.
J for Jokes.
K for Kids.

Q for the Queen of Wildlife aka Michaela Strachan!
O for Outdoors.
W for Worms.

Z for Zzzzz.

 A little while back now I worked on a double page spread for my regular client The Sun's TV magazine, to produce illustrations for an A-Z of Autumn Watch. Above are a few of my favourites.

It was a pretty manic work schedule from start to finish, as I had just 48 hours to produce 27 full colour illustrations, but I decided to accept the challenge mainly because I just loved the brief. Painting wildlife of any kind is something I relish, and this brief allowed me to produce work that was both realistic and a little playful ; I really enjoyed mixing wildlife studies with fun paintings of wellies, tadpoles in jam jars and jeweled crowns.

I will always remember this commission as one that taught me to paint faster and worry less. With such limited time there really was no other choice - but it reassured me that I can work under pressure and still produce work I'm happy with.


The final spread.


 Thanks for reading!


5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness me...48 hours?! I thought I have been given a couple of tight deadlines but this is ridiculous! AND all 27 look gorgeous - amazing! Well done girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can look back and appreciate that it was worth the lack of sleep - but at the time it was a bit painful!

      Delete
  2. love these, and can't imagine you got all that done in 48 hours, well done holly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you got all these done in 48 hours - I would have spent the first 12 hours panicking!
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is AWESOME!

    http://karima-illustration.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete