Monday, 21 October 2013

My Illustrations for Wool Week | Watercolour Illustrations

Last week Wool Week was celebrated across the globe, educating and celebrating the processes, practices and uses for wool and the animals and people involved. Campaign For Wool is the charity responsible, and along with it's patron The Prince of Wales, the organisation raises awareness of the benefits of wool amongst consumers by hosting fun events such as 'Knit Nation' and 'The Big Draw'.

I was asked to paint some of the most prolific breeds of sheep in the wool industry. These included the Merino, the Shetland, the Romney and the Lincoln (all of which were new to me!). My illustrations were then used as part of the excellent re-brand by graphic designers Matt&Dan in a whole host of different formats, from in-store merchandising, to information boards and shop window displays, as well as online, and printed materials.

This was a great project for me, fundamentally because I love to paint animals! This was a brief that allowed me to get stuck into the specifics of the different breeds, and create paintings that celebrate the woolly beasts, in a style I saw fit. Initially I worried this might be tricky as sheep aren't exactly the most colourful of animals, but actually it was great fun depicting their textured coats and cute little faces.







In-store at Jigsaw
In-store at John Lewis

At the Royal Academy of Art, in front of a flock of Merino sheep!
Information boards at the Royal Academy's 'Big Draw' event
The sheep were used across London in shops such as Topman, John Lewis, Pringle, Lyle & Scott, Jigsaw, Warehouse, Jaeger and Liberty, as well as at the Royal Academy and the Chelsea Design Centre.


I'd love to hear from anyone that participated in Wool Week, or saw any of my illustrations. Where did you spot them? What did you get up to?


5 comments:

  1. These are fantastic and your eye for detail and colour is extraordinary. Wool Week sounds like an interesting event, looking forward to seeing more of your new works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Wool Week looked like lots of fun - hoping to see a lot more of it next year, and see how the campaign progresses!

      Delete
  2. These are amazing! I love the colours x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah I love these colours!! My art teacher was telling about looking for all colours, not just obvious ones, and this is exactly what she meant, ti looks so good!xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful illustrations! love the colours too!

    ReplyDelete