Friday, 13 January 2012

Getting on with My New Years Resolutions | Watercolour Illustrations

Hi guys! So, after my incredibly earnest New Years Resolutions post a few weeks ago, I bet you're all dying to know how I'm getting along. Well, I'd quite like to know too! These first weeks of January have been a blur of unpacking, starting and finishing projects and settling into a new city. I haven't had time to reassess, and see if I'm on the right track or not, and so I'm afraid you're all reading it here, as I work it out for myself.

I'm scoring myself out of ten for how well I think I've done on each resolution.


Think Less, Do More

6/10
I have finished a series of food illustrations recently (find them here) which involved many a night spent at my desk. That definitely put my 'head down' approach to the test, and it worked!

Practice, practice, practice

7/10
This is something I want to build on, but I don't think it's something I can suddenly cram into two weeks. I've painted rather a lot already this year though, which surely counts as practice, and is why I'm awarding myself a seven!

Take Time Out to be Inspired/Get Some Fresh Air

1/10
Bad Holly! I've been such a hermit this fortnight and do you know how I know this? Because yesterday, I took a walk to the shops and my eyes were blinded. Blinded by an overcast day in January. If that isn't a warning sign that I need to get out more, I don't know what is.

Set Goals and Reach Them

8/10
All going well on that front...though two weeks is probably too soon to say!

Plan a Project Throughly - Stop Being Impatient

7/10
I now spend a good amount of time planning a project (currently working on my Secret 7 submission). I write a ton of notes and have been going back to my Uni days and the joys of thumb nails!

Make Work an Unshakeable Habit

6/10
I have been doing a little work every day (or a lot in some cases) but I feel as if it's not part of a routine yet. My goal now is to get a routine for myself - exercise, my social media work, blogging, self promotion - so that I can fit my work time into place.

Take Inspiration From Others, But Stop Comparing Myself to Them

4/10
Not great on this front!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're doing really well Holly! Your last resolution about taking inspiration from others but not comparing their work to yours is a hard one! I think all illustrators/crafters/creatives do this, without even thinking. I have to remind myself how different my style is just because it comes from me, when I see work that just makes me go wooooow!

    ReplyDelete